Keep Dreaming by Julie Furlong
When I was in my early 20s and full of optimistic dreams, I met the late author, Bryce Courtenay. It was at a book signing event I was organising for him. When the event concluded he gave me a small, autographed book as a thank you. This small book remained in my top draw as I continued on my career from office to office, desk to desk, and even today it remains in my top draw. The book is called A Recipe for Dreaming and although I had no idea at the time, it made quite an impact on my future career and life ahead.
One profoundly influential quote ran as follows:
“We need to dream; soaring imagination is the glue that keeps our soul from shattering under the impact of a prosaic world. But dreaming can be a tricky business and, if we’re not careful, can disappear altogether from our lives.”
This excerpt consistently remind me of my dreams and what was I doing, or neglecting to do, about them. It often reminded me not to let them fade into the distance and prevent them from coming true. I totally believed that I could do anything and if I truly believed it, my dreams would come true. (Read: Starting Over Again)
This little paragraph (which I printed and framed) helped to encouraged me to keep moving forward, keeping my dreams alive and follow them, in the belief that one day they really would come true.
Here are a few things to consider to help you along your way and keep reminding yourself to give your dreams a go…
- It’s better to try and fail rather than regret and wonder.
- Do something for your dreams each day, don’t keep waiting – because you will never think the timing is right.
- Remember, the only person who can stop your dreams from coming true is you!
- Don’t be disappointed in 20 years time when you say to yourself “I should have given my dreams a go”.
- Have a dream plan… what are your dreams and where do you want them to take you?
- You are never too old to follow your dreams or set new ones.
- Think to yourself: what is the worst that can happen? (Read: What's Your Worry)
- Remember, dreams are not easy! You need to work hard for them.
- Be grateful to those who doubted you. They made you stronger to continue to follow your dreams.
- Dreams are essential for all of us, and with the right attitude and hard work you will achieve them. (Read: Press On With Persistence)
We all have dreams, but challenges in life can sometimes seem overwhelming. You will always need to take a few steps back in order to move forward. Most of us often have doubt and question what we are doing. Occasionally, we think maybe I don’t really have what it takes, and think perhaps quitting is a nice, easy option. At such times borrow this Bryce Courtenay quote and remind yourself to keep following your dreams and never give up on them. You’re the only one that will make them happen, so make sure you fight for them and keep them alive.