2 Simple steps to make life less complicated by Julie Furlong
A life less complicated, detach and declutter.
A happy and peaceful new year to you!
With Christmas gone, we naturally start thinking about the year ahead, what 2018 will bring. New friends & relationships, happy & special occasions, a few surprises, or a new routine perhaps? A few topics on my mind lately have been centred around creating a life less complicated, detaching myself and decluttering not only the spaces around me, but decluttering my mind as well. With the noise and busyness of life, our packed schedules and the many, many options we have to choose from, along with the many directions we can take, it is normal to clutter our lives, minds and attach ourselves to routines and habits easily. For me, and possibly for some of you, it’s time to introduce deliberate changes and head towards a more uncomplicated life. These changes are ‘easier said than done’ and will have ups and downs and setbacks along the way. But, making a concentrated effort and letting things go with some detaching and decluttering, will help take the busyness out of my life. (Read: 7 Amazing tips to help you let go)
Here are some of the questions I have asked myself and a few ideas I have commenced exercising to help continue this journey throughout 2018.
Maybe I can give you some ideas to live a life
less complicated as well?
- Let go of some of the things you are used to, but which are no longer useful in your life. This will help you evolve and grow as a person. (Read: 7 Amazing tips to help you let go)
- Simplify life and detach from things you know are not right for you to make time for what matters most (Read: 4 Simple questions that will help you realise what matters most) time with friends (Read: 12 Signs to know you’ve found your best friend), your children, your partner, exercise, eating and planning your meals well. Stop over-committing, cut out unnecessary commitments to put your heart and soul into the commitments that count. Why choose to be busy, what’s in it for you?
- Don’t be afraid of downtime, sit in a quiet room alone with no distractions, to simplify.
- Stop over-committing and trying to do too much at once. Start saying no more often. If you don’t say no, you will take on too much and get nothing done properly. (Read: 4 Life changing reasons you need to remember to say no)
- Try not to overload your mind with the noise and useless information out there, limit your time on social media to detach.
- Be present. Focus more on the moment to simplify your life. It keeps you aware of life, of what’s going on around you. (Read: 7 Effortless tips to enjoy moments in your life )
- Go through what you already have and ask yourself: when did I last use this and will I ever use it? If not, give it to someone who may need it.
- Minimise buying and try to reinvent some of the clothing in your wardrobe. Change buttons, convert a dress into a top, buy an accessory to sew onto a dress or shirt.
- Stop wasting time and money trying to acquire more of everything. Start focusing on quality. Too many people buy things they don’t need, and give too much meaning to possessions.
- Clean out and organise your mind. Stop trying to be everything to everyone. Start focusing on being everything to someone. Helping or pleasing everyone is impossible.
- Cluttered living or working space can be distracting and stressful. A clear space is like a fresh start, get organised and clutter-free to make life simple for yourself.
- Ask yourself more often: is shopping really therapy, or is walking with a friend and having a genuine chat better for you? Buying things will not solve your problems. Ask yourself more often: do I really need this? Why am I buying this product?
Think about what you can detach yourself from and & declutter in your life for 2018 to leave space for the good stuff. Do your bit – recycle, give to those who would use it, think twice before you buy, give meaning to what is important in your life. Take a bit of rubbish out of your life daily, just like you take out the real rubbish and leave the things that are really healthy for you and your mind. Clean and organise the spaces around you, detach so you are able to bring in thoughts that are useful to you, removing anything that is no longer useful. Let go of the need to be busy and rather just be. Slow down, take it all in and realise that this moment is precious. Detach and declutter because when we’re too busy being busy, we can miss the life we are actually living.
Thank you for taking the time to read this inspirational blog about life. I hope this creative blog helps you to be inspired and live your dreams, developing some good life habits and positive thinking. The intention of this creative and light-hearted site is for you to live a better, happier life that enhances your own emotional intelligence skills, based on my own life experiences. Please enjoy!