12 Signs to know you've found your best friend by Julie Furlong
Best friends are one of the most wonderful, blessed gifts life can dish out. If you are lucky enough to have a few, a couple or just one ‘bestie’ who will stay with you for life, you are lucky. I am fortunate enough to have a few. They know who they are, and I would not exchange them for anything.
Like most of the population, I have gone through the tough and challenging times life has to offer. When the tough times are in, it’s my mates who become my backbone, offering the unconditional friendship, beyond anything one can imagine. We have had some hilarious, precious moments that I would not trade for all the diamonds in the world (and I really like… no, no love diamonds).
I am old enough now to truly reflect on the past and realise how lucky I am to have them in my life. My take is that you are much better off having a handful of best friends that you can rely on and that love you, rather than trying to be mates with everyone.
My focus has been on making those core relationships even better. Here are a few things that best friends truly do…
- They don’t judge you, no matter how much of an idiot you make of yourself;
- They don’t make you feel guilty, but they will let you know when you are wrong;
- They are always available for a chat or a shoulder to cry on (which really is like therapy, without paying for it);
- They know when to give advice or when it’s time to just listen;
- They are brutally honest with you when you are being ridiculous;
- They gossip about you to your face and not behind your back and, on the subject of backs, they always have it;
- They celebrate the joyous moments in your life, even though they may not be at your side at the time, (Read: Enjoy the Moments);
- They know what things to say and which exact words to use to make you feel better;
- You can laugh together over the stupidest things, (Read: Find the Funny);
- They appreciate you for being you, accept you for who you are and truly want the best for you;
- They care about your opinion and what you have to say;
- You can always pick up where you left off, even though you may have been apart for a long time.
I feel so grateful to have these people in my life. They have guided and supported me whilst I was on top of the world, or down and out in dumpsville. I believe the path to true happiness in life are the relationships you keep. And the more you are grateful and nurture them, the happier you become. If you don’t have a best friend in your life then I suggest you open your heart and soul and see what comes along…
Thank you for taking the time to read this inspirational blog about life. I hope this creative blog helps you to be inspired and live your dreams, developing some good life habits and positive thinking. The intention of this creative and light-hearted site is for you to live a better, happier life that enhances your own emotional intelligence skills, based on my own life experiences. Please enjoy!