by Julie Furlong
I have always been conscious of what I am saying to myself and how I am saying it. Looking back on some of the most challenging times throughout my career, as well as my personal life, I have come to believe that this ‘inner chatter’ of positive thinking is what got me through those moments. The one person you chat to daily is yourself, within your own mind. These self-reflexive thoughts we communicate to ourselves, control both the way we feel and act, and ultimately turn from mere thoughts into reality. It is only by becoming fully aware of our thoughts that we can catch the ones that are negative and stop them in their tracks.
The following 10 tips about your thought patterns with some positive thinking will hopefully inspire and motivate you to create a positive future. With some practice, you can completely control the way you think, and it is such habitual thought patterns that will ultimately determine your level of happiness...
- Firstly, try not to say anything to yourself that you wouldn’t say to anyone else.
- Focus on you: be specific in thinking about yourown desires and goals.
- Be positive: say kind, encouraging statements to yourself as part of your daily routine – short statements that are easy to remember.
- Make sure the people in your life are positive.
- When your inner critic starts dumping on you, don’t acknowledge it; laugh it off.
- Look at how much you have accomplished in the past to motivate you to keep going forward.
- Always think about what can go right rather than what can go wrong.
- Look for the opportunity in a situation, do not dwell on potential problems.
- Plan: take some time to become aware of what you want to change.
- Be fully aware of your self-talk – reflect on your thought patterns as part of your daily routine.
I hope you have soaked in some inspiration, the preceding advice is offered in the hope it may help you to form positive habits of thought, as it has helped me. Remember that the most important investment (which no one talks about) is the investment in yourself; your own habits and your own happiness.This is absolutely the best investment you can make in your life.