I know for sure, especially when I was younger, that I was often reluctant to give myself a go and be, me, my true, real, unique self and embrace who I really am. I was often afraid to be instantly judged and fearful that people would talk behind my back and not accept me. The truth I did not know then, but most certainly know now, was that the people who make an impact on humanity are the ones who are the most different and unique and unfortunately, often do feel excluded. Your true strength and beauty is your own uniqueness. Remember there is only one YOU, and the people who stand out the most and make a true difference are the people who exercise their individuality and are themselves, rather than trying to conform and be like others. What a shame too much of our time is spent on attempting to be normal, trying to look normal and trying to fit in and be like everyone else. Being yourself enables you to pass on optimism and positive energy, which forms good life habits to the people in your circle.
So, this year, as your New Year’s resolution, I challenge you to find your unique self, within your existence, spend some time, energy and attention on growing and becoming yourself and who you really are and stand for. In-turn, I guarantee you will become a stronger human being.
Here are some tips I have applied in the past and researched to help you find your UNIQUE self:
- Try as many experiences in life as possible – what have you got to lose?
- Never miss an opportunity that is upon you.
- Let go of the pressure to please others, you’ll be much happier and comfortable within yourself.
- People will say NO – but don’t let anyone stop you! Keep reminding yourself you can do anything and you will start believing it. The more you believe, the more it will come true.
- Start being honest about who you are, both with yourself and those around you – tell your story, take the risk of being heard and invite others to understand it.
- Allow yourself time and energy to become you, the inner you… pay attention, learn, develop and experience things to help become your best, most authentic self and enjoy what you really want.
- Be confident and courageous, embrace yourself for all that you are and allow your intuition to guide you.
- Don’t concern yourself to belong, or even worse – rejection.
- Be open minded, slow to judge, tolerant and respectful of others.
- Be independent, think for yourself, plan your passions and dreams, keep going, because one day you will become that person.
“You laugh at me for being different, I laugh at you for being the same”
At the end of the day, don’t you want people to like you for who you really are, not for who you try to be like? When you are yourself, you will attract the right people who like you for you… and your independent mind. When you are genuine and honest, it sets the foundation for stronger, more satisfying friendships and relationships. This, eliminates room for unsupportive people in your life that keep you from growing and being your unique you. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, so give the respect to others that you wish to be given to you as well. You owe it to yourself to live up to the truest version of you and remember the chance for progress, change and greatness stops the moment we try to be like everyone else. Happy New Year, being the unique you!